My Turkey-Less Turkey Day

Posted by Brandon Lagao | Posted in | Posted on 11/30/2009 12:25:00 PM

Well, this year's Thanksgiving was a first for me. My Mom worked hard on a Turkey as well as a honey baked ham. And oh wow, did they look delicious...although I don't know how they actually tasted. You see, i'm in the 2nd month of being a pescatarian and it just so happens that the Thanksgiving tradition is Turkey and Stufffing, not Mahi Mahi and Stuffing. This was the first time that I can remember not eating meat on this holiday or any holiday for that matter.

Yeah, it was different, but not really a big deal at all. I mean, its not like I went hungry this year while the rest of my family gorged. In fact, there was a great deal of support from my family that I wasn't really expecting. I went into this year, just wanting to play my vegetarianism down and keep it low key because like i've said in a previous blog, I still have no defining reason why I haven't eaten any meat for 2 months now. I'm seriously beginning to believe that I may just be masochistic. But anyways, I would've been happy if the fact that I wasn't eating turkey wasn't mentioned at all. Obviously my family knew, but that turned out to be a really cool thing. My Aunt Cathy made a smoked salmon mix on belgian endive leaves and one of my favorites, Ahi & Avocado Tartare on wonton crisps. And my mom still made all of the usual, delicious sides and even made me dressing instead of stuffing. What's the difference you ask? Well, according to an episode of Unwrapped on the Food Network, the difference between the two is that Stuffing is actually stuffed and cooked in the turkey and Dressing is cooked as a dish by itself. One thing that wasn't new to me this year: I ate too much.

All in all, I had a great Thanksgiving weekend and am most thankful for the family I've been blessed with.

Comments (1)

Yay for Turkey-less Thanksgivings!!!!