I Got No Beef With Beef.

Posted by Brandon Lagao | Posted in | Posted on 10/02/2009 12:39:00 PM

“I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.” - A. Whitney Brown

I'm on day 3 of vegetarianism. Well actually, i'm not really a vegetarian because i'm allowing myself to eat fish. So I can only really say that i'm a Semi-Vegetarian, Pesco-Vegetarian, or my favorite a Pescetarian. Don't really ask me why though. I don't have a definitive answer for that.


Back in the summer of 2004, I was a pescatarian for about 4 months. I had no real reason for doing it back then either. Through college, I was working at a farmers market and delicious, fresh fruits and vegetables we widely available to me for free. So one day I decided to cut all meats out of my diet. It's pretty much as simple as that. I made a decision in my head and stuck to it. I also remember the moment I decided to eat meat again. It was my little brother's high school graduation and we were having a party at our house in Eastlake. My parents sent me to a chinese food restaurant down the street to pick up the trays of food. There was an abundant amount of cashew chicken, chow mein, snow peas and shrimp, kung pao, and my ultimate downfall- these chinese hot wings. They were deep fried goodness, smothered in garlic, red pepper, and salt. Yum! I remember salivating the whole way home. Eventually I broke down and tore through those wings. Being half black, there should be no surprise here :)


So now, 5 years later, i'm back on the road of pescatarianism. I'm not doing it for ethical, religious, or environmental concerns. I'm not even doing it for dietary reasons. I also just found out that about 60% of vegetarians are women and its not even about that! ...well maybe, haha. I guess the only real reason why, would be because it gives me discipline. It causes me to think a little bit. Shows me that if I put my mind to something, its not really all that hard. And to me at least, it makes my life a little bit more odd and interesting.


So 2.5 days down and I don't know how much longer to go. I have no timeline, but I can assure you I will have a steak again at some point in my life. I'll update via blog next time I eat meat.

Love,

Brandon Lagao

Haha, i just thought this picture was hilarious. Who eats koala!?

Comments (4)

BTW your not half black. And if you are your basketball skills are a disgrace to that tone of skin.

I love that you are not eating meat! I condone this action. I challenge you to not eat meat again for the rest of your life. :)

Ice- yes, I am half-black and yes, my bball skills are on point.

Val- If I end up at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles any time soon, I can assure you that I will not only be eating waffles :) Are you a vegetarian?

Yup... http://valeriegeary.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-am-not-carnivore.html

And I love it! (We still eat the occasional sushi, but that is minimal and I'm finding I like the vegetarian sushi much better than the stuff with fish!)