Some Stuff I Learned Today:

Posted by Brandon Lagao | Posted in , | Posted on 11/12/2008 11:47:00 PM

  1. Strength Comes From Working Out Differences: (learned from a rather brutal conversation I had today) In my particular conversation, no differences were really worked out, but it got me thinking. What would be considered a better, more fruitful relationship:
    -a couple that never has to deal with conflict and cruises through life either in complete agreement or ignoring their disagreements in order to stay "happy".

    Or

    -a couple that seems to face a lot of conflict. Has differing perspectives on different things. Confronts each other in order to resolve these problems. And eventually learns more about the other, learns more about them self, sees things from a different perspective, and learns how best to work through these differences.

    If I was to share my answer, I think being happy and not having any conflict sounds refreshing and very comfortable. It definitely sounds like a easier road to travel. But i also think(cliche' warning), that nothing amazing ever comes easy. The greater the risk, the greater the reward. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. My choice would be the hard road..sounds crazy, but really, how boring does the easy road sound? Its like, if i'm snowboarding-- I can take the easy runs and I guarantee I won't fall(unless some crazy asian tourist loses control and crashes into me). I'd be the best on those runs and all the beginners would see. But the truth is, I'm not worried about falling. I want to take the double black diamond run. My reasoning: even if I ride on the bunny slopes all day and never fall, i'll still only be a novice at the end of the day. But if I master the double black diamond, with all the risk of falling, the risk of getting hurt, the risk of not being able to finish-- still, at the end of the day I am that much closer to being an expert.

  2. A Challenge Brings Out The Best In Us: (Learned from reading through Men's Health at the gym tonight.) This one is pretty self-explanatory. A challenge should be embraced because in the end, succeed or fail, it makes us better people. Challenge brings out the best in us, but what a lot of people don't think about is that, a challenge also brings out the best in those that surround us. If I rise to a challenge that I face at work, my coworkers will be that much more inspired to do the same. If a player on an underdog team rises to the challenge of facing a bigger and better team, his teammates will follow that lead. If a married couple on the verge of divorce decides to take their problems head on and seek out a solution, they may inspire another couple in a similar position to fight on as well. I think that concept is so awesome. Maybe that's why I voted Republican-- cause I like the challenge(not handouts).

  3. Honesty Always Trumps Insincerity: (learned from reminiscing on my day) This is one of my daily challenges: be honest and hurt someone. Or be insincere and keep them happy and blissfully ignorant. If I care about you, you'll get lots of honesty from me. You may not like it, but someone needs to be the messenger. TRUST ME though when I say, IT IS HARD being that guy. I don't want to hurt anyone. But am I hurting someone more by not being honest with them about "how i see it"? For the answer to that, I look to God:
    Proverbs 27:17- "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (NIV)
    "You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another." (The Message)

  4. Believe In Yourself: (learned from Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium) I think this is the theme of the movie. Believe in yourself. "It sounds a little too selfish, a little too close to "Follow your heart, no matter what anyone says." When taken out of context as it often is at the movies, and in real life it can lead to all sorts of bad decisions such as hasty marriages, even hastier divorces, quitting college, or even joining the peace corp! Following your heart often translates into following your emotions, and emotions are fickle. But the truth is, there's nothing wrong with following our hearts as long as we lend our brains and our souls to the proposition, too. God created in each one of us talent, passion and drive to do ... something.

    We are God's creatures, and each of us carry a "sparkle"--something greater than ourselves trying to get out. And believing in yourself enough (being courageous enough) to make that happen, well, that's a great thing indeed."

Comments (3)

your blog is good good good......

hi brother. i only read the first part of this, but wanted to remind you of the time we had a "who's the better snowboarder" challenge. and i won. so just know, no matter how much closer you are to becoming an expert, im always even closer.

ps. the captcha word for this comment is "fingr". i thought that was funny.

remind me again how we judged who the better snowboarder was?

p.s.- i've been an expert since age 6.