Day 20: Tarlac to Puerto Princesa

Posted by Brandon Lagao | Posted in | Posted on 5/23/2009 10:51:00 PM

After a long drive to Manila and a sad goodbye to all my family, I was on a plane again, alone. This time I was heading to Puerto Princesa, Palawan. As I sat in the airport and on the plane, I couldn't help but think about if I should have spent more time with family while I was here. I know I will be back though, so I was reassured that I should stick to my plans and see as much of this country as I can during this trip. My "adventures" kind of stopped while I was with family, but the feeling of excitement started to come back once we landed here in Puerto.

Once again, I had no idea where I was sleeping tonight, or where I was going when I wake up tomorrow morning. But to me, that's the fun of it all. I don't know whats wrong with me, but whenever I arrive some place new, I don't like taking a taxi or tricycle. It would be so cheap, but I learned that I like seeing the whole town i'm in and getting a feel for what direction is what. Plus it is a great workout and after the week with family, I definitely need it. While walking to the place I decided to stay at, I got turned around quite a few times. This was when I realized that I packed way too much for this...but at least my pack is getting good use.

There isn't much to do in Puerto, it's more of a gateway to the other sites, but once I stepped off the plane, I was able to smell that the air is noticeably cleaner here. They call it the "Last Frontier" because Palawan is virtually untouched compared to the rest of the PI and they are very conscious of preserving the land here. Also, this was the first place that there wasn't a rush of people trying to get my attention to spend some type of money. I appreciate so much more the fact that there aren't a hundred people trying to offer me a ride somewhere or to do some parasailing or snorkeling. People are always looking at me here still, but probably more because of my huge backpack and the fact that I am walking around aimlessly, then because of the way I look.

The first place I went to was fully booked. And the second. And the third. The worst part were that they were all scattered far apart from each other. After looking at the map, again I decided to keep walking. I learned that Kilometers are still a long way to walk. But once again, because of my stubbornness, I kept turning down tricycles rides because in my head I told myself, "I've already come this far, I might as well finish." After walking until the sun already set, I finally found a place with a room available. The place is called Abelardo's Pension, and I was staying here out of lack of choices more than anything else. It's not bad though, I have cable, a shower that works (cold water only of course), and aircon...which are all things I didn't really have at my family's place.

I'm pretty sure, Lynn, the girl that showed me to my room likes me because she keeps knocking on my door for random reasons and starting up a giggly conversation...it's actually pretty annoying. Also, there is one of the family members here that is a dwarf and speaks with a nasally, high pitched voice that I almost completely cannot understand. She is obviously handicapped, but I would be lying if I said it didn't freak me out a bit. I couldn't help but imagine waking up in the middle of the night with her standing at the side of my bed staring at me. It was enough to give me nightmares, haha!

I got to meet the owner who is a nice old lady that reminds me a little of my Lola. She is smart and gave a little attitude to another guest in front of me. She was showing me pictures of her family that is abroad and showed me a picture of her half filipina, half swedish grandaughter...she was absolutely gorgeous and it took everything in my power to stay respectful and not tell her that I want to marry her apo, haha!

Other than that I was too tired to go explore at night, so I just stayed in. I had "Hopia" for dinner, which is like a little pastry dessert. I picked it up on my journey to get here to Abelardo's and it was all I had. Much different from the dinners that my grandparents provided me with!

Comments (2)

how much did you pay for you stay at abelardo? can you give me the rate /night...tnx - mj

Hi MJ,

You know what, i'm not exactly sure how much I paid. I want to say it was somewhere around $15 usd/night. I'm sure I overpaid since i'm not a local, but I know that they were one of the better priced places to stay in the PP. When are you visiting?

-Brandon Lagao